These morning sessions are an opportunity for us to start our day with an interactive and engaging conversation, delving deeply into the conference theme. Each morning we will gather and break into small groups for facilitated discussions over breakfast, exploring a different facet of confronting obstacles and creating opportunities in the wildlife profession. Each session may be approached as a standalone conversation, so you may participate in one or both, but they are also a progressive conversation exploring our conference theme. Wednesday we will focus on the many expressions of a wildlife professional, then Thursday we will discuss the role community science may play in informing wildlife management and policy decisions.
No prior knowledge or experience is required; all conference attendees are welcome and encouraged to register. The more diverse the participation, the more diverse the conversation. We hope you will join us!
- Session 8:00am – 9:45am
- In Person
- Extra Fee, $20. Limited seats.
- Menu: Classic Breakfast Buffet – Fluffy Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, French Toast, Fresh Sliced Fruit Display, Tri-Color Potato Hash, Breakfast Breads, Croissants & Pastries, Orange & Cranberry Juice. Included Coffee & Tea Service.
The many expressions of a Wildlife Professional
A wildlife professional can take on many roles, as evidenced by the diversity of careers and interests of Western Section members and meeting participants. Is it an obstacle, opportunity, or both having so many expressions of the wildlife profession?
We invite you to join us over a buffet breakfast for a discussion about what we mean by the term “wildlife professional”, how that intersects with “scientist”, and how it influences our collaboration and knowledge sharing:
Q1: What characteristics make someone a scientist? A wildlife professional? What are the similarities and differences?
Q2: Do the similarities and differences affect successful collaboration and knowledge sharing? Are there ways we can improve?
- Session 7:00am – 7:50am
- In Person
- Extra Fee, $20. Limited Seats.
- Menu: Plated Breakfast – Choice of: (1) Avocado Brioche Toast with Fresh Smashed Avocado, Cilantro, Crumbled Cotija, Pomegranate Balsalmic Syrup on Toasted Brioche Bread with Sliced Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Watermelon Radish and Tri-Color Potato Hash. OR (2) Quiche with Chorizo, Peppers, Onions, Shredded Potatoes and Pepper Jack Cheese and served with Tri-Color Potato Hash. Both choices are served with Orange or Cranberry Juice, as well as coffee and tea service.
The intersection of the wildlife profession and community science
We invite you to join us for a plated breakfast to discuss:
What role does community science have in informing wildlife management and policy decisions?
- What should be the professionals’ role in community science?
- How do we use community science data?
- When is it appropriate? When not?